Sucuri CloudProxy is a Website Application Firewall (WAF) and Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) all bundled into one. In laymen terms, CloudProxy will protect your website from being attacked or compromised and if it is compromised, it will immediately notify you.
Disclaimer: I have not been paid to carry out this review, nor am I involved with the company behind it. I only recommend products or services that I have personally used (and I am still using in this case) and which I believe will add value to my readers. Some of the links in this review are “affiliate links”. This means that if you click on the link and purchase the product or service, I will receive an affiliate commission. Please note that this will not affect the price you pay. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” and Google’s Guidelines on Affiliate Programs.
At the bare minimum Sucuri CloudProxy has all the traditional website application firewalls features in that it detects patterns that identify attacks and blocks them. However, it extends this by offering a powerful Intrusion Detection System (IDS) and log correlation engine that enhances the WAF component to make it even more efficient.
Although I have personally experienced it on WordPress, it is actually available for any type of platform – including Joomla, vBulettin, Magento, ASP.NET and even custom designs. Here is a short video outlining how it works:
5 Core Features of the Sucuri CloudProxy WAF / IPS for WordPress
- Set it up in 5 minutes: This is a much-treasured feature of Sucuri CloudProxy. When you subscribe to the service, there is nothing that you need to install on your website as CloudProxy is …as its name implies, cloud-based. All you need to do is sign up for an account, head over to the Sucuri dashboard, key in your website’s URL and then change the A record to point to the the IP address they give you. It probably took me longer to write this paragraph then the length of time to get Sucuri CloudProxy up and running on your website! Trust me, I have been there!.
- Detects, filters and blocks attacks: As already stated, Sucuri CloudProxy is a cloud-based WAF and IPS. It also contains virtual website patching. This essentially means that if one of the plugins, extensions or themes on your website has a vulnerability, Sucuri CloudProxy applies a virtual patching – meaning that that vulnerability cannot be exploited! How awesome is that?? Additionally, it comes with high security monitoring that monitors all websites on CloudProxy and helps in identifying patterns and threats happening on other websites so that your site is protected in advance!
- Stops DDOS and Brute Force: Distributed Denial Of Service attack (DDOS) is an attack whereby several compromised systems are used to target a single website (…your website!). When a site suddenly gets hundreds and thousand hits per minute from bots will inevitably go down. Sucuri CloudProxy prevents this from happening.
- Prevents malware and Blacklisting: Sucuri CloudProxy filters malicious traffic from visiting your website, this protecting it from attacks like: Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF), Cross Site Scripting (XSS), Remote File Inclusions (RFI), SQL Injection (SQLi), Malicious Post Requests … the list is endless.
- Makes your site faster: After adding your site to Sucuri CloudProxy, your site will, at least become 50% faster than before. Sucuri claim that depending on the CMS that you are running, your site may even be 2x or 3x faster than before. This is because the CloudProxy package includes high performance and smart caching distributed over a global network of highly optimized servers spread out in the US, Canada, Europe, Asia and Australia. It also contains one-click SPDY and GZIP support. And if that is not enough, CloudProxy is compatible with most CDNs, including Akamai, CloudFlare and MaxCDN!
… still not convinced? …Let me continue …
Packages and Pricing
If you are serious about Website Security, Sucuri is the most reputable and reliable company in the biz. These guys are specialists and have an amazing array of products that will keep your site protected irrespective if you are using WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento, .NET, OSCommerce, vBullettin, phpBB or HTML.
The entry level Basic Sucuri CloudProxy that is perfect for most websites only costs $9.99 per month and includes:
- Web Application Firewall
- Intrusion Detection System
- Intrusion Prevention System
- Managed Audit Logs / Security
- Layer 7 DDOS Protection
- HTTP Flood Protection
- Brute Force Protection
- Virtual Patching and Hardening
- SQL, XSS and code injection prevention
- One-click 2FA, Captcha and Password Protection on any page
- External CDN Support
- 8×7 Support Ticket System
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee
There is also the Professional Edition which is designed for E-Commerce sites (at $19.98/month) and the Business Edition for large sites (at $69.93/month). Both of these packages obviously have additional features over and above those of the Basic Edition.
Professional, yet affordable Website Application Firewall (WAF) and Intrusion Detection System (IDS) starting from only $9.99 a month … what are you waiting for?