Hi, my name is Justin Mifsud and I am the founder of UsabilityGeek. I started this blog way back in June 2011 as a personal hobby so as to evangelize about the importance of website usability. The whole concept revolved around the idea that although poor usability has commercial and legal implications, I had noted that very few web designers and developers are aware of this. Thus I had created UsabilityGeek as a means to bridge theory and academic research with practical and personal recommendations on how one can improve website usability.
Since then, UsabilityGeek has evolved to cover a wider array of topics that extend beyond usability, such as User Experience (UX), conversion, Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and Information Architecture (IA). Another important development was converting the blog into a platform that accepts guest posts from people who share a common love – that of creating a great user experience.
I am a web usability / User Experience (UX) consultant operating from Malta, Europe. I offer specialized consultancy services that includes user research, user/task analysis, user interface design, iterative prototyping, heuristic reviews, interface guidelines development, and iterative usability testing.
Being also a Marketing graduate and holding various web marketing roles within a varied portfolio of industries has helped me acquire extensive marketing and client management experience. In addition to this, I have held user interface / UX design roles and am very proficient in hand coding of standards-compliant HTML and CSS. I have also designed and developed a number of web sites as a freelancer and in conjunction with leading web development companies.
I am also one of Smashing Magazine’s experts panel, where my role involves performing a technical review of articles before they are published on the magazine.
- M.Sc. Human Computer Interaction, University of Hertfordshire
- B.Sc. Computing & Information Systems, University of London
- Dip. Computing & Information Systems, University of London
- Dip. Marketing, The Chartered Institute of Marketing
- USEFul: A Framework to Mainstream Web Site Usability through Automated Evaluation, International Journal of Human Computer Interaction
- User Experience, Practical Techniques, Vol. 1, Smashing Magazine
- Asking “UXperts” — How to Improve Your Landing Pages with @SabinaIdler and @justinmifsud, Distilled Blog
- Can User Experience Be Beautiful? An Analysis Of Navigation In Portfolio Websites, Smashing Magazine
- An Extensive Guide To Web Form Usability, Smashing Magazine
- How Your Website’s Crappy Usability Is Costing You Sales, Biquitous Blog
- How To Geek Out On Usability With Justin Mifsud, PR Communications Blog
- User Experience: Sketchflow, Balsamiq, Microsoft Visio, Paper Prototyping
- Web Languages: VB.NET, HTML, CSS, XML, ActionScript, jQuery
- Content Management Systems: WordPress, DNN, Kentico
- Web Design: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Flash, Adobe Fireworks
- Web Development: Microsoft Visual Studio, Adobe Dreamweaver, Microsoft Expression Blend
- ERP: Microsoft Dynamics NAV
- Consultancy: User Interface, User Experience, Usability, Human Computer Interaction, Search Engine Optimization, Project Management, Resource Management, System Analysis and Design